Post on, Lyda
History of Zion Church,
Div.Sch.
286
.1756775
P857
H673
1955
-
jj
DUKE
UNIVERSITY
LIBRARY
HISTORY
H
of
ZION CHURCH
1816-195
V
K
K
...
V \
s,
fc
*
4
-ft
C0ts»S & O
crd-P P. o
CD cfM-d- R
&• © h. y-i
<^bdP«tJ cd
• «<l c*
^y cfcf-CD
O rf g ^ pu
4Soo
c+ I L
• O O M
p 0 hh
4 P fD CO
Od-4 •
H^CQ
H«CD
»4 O
P03 P
• * CQ .
hJM ^ p
! =3 c£o
• 'd y
top so
4
O H*
MB
CD
y
CD
CO
p
»
4
H.
M
O
cfCD
CD £
<D
CD
a
CD
M*
<}
CD
P R K F A (1 E
I wish to express my sincere gratitude to the Brother-
hood of Zion, Mr. and Mrs. D. W. Kiser the assistant
editors, and the many people who have assisted in
making this book possible. I am deeply indebted to the early
historic papers written by Mr. J. M. Wilson and the Rev.
D. F. Putnam. I should like to express my thanks to the
church clerks who have kept the records these many years.
I desire especially to thank the older present members
for information and Mrs. Florence Lackey for access to the
records kept in her home.
— Lyda Poston
Editor
On behalf of the Zion Baptist Church, We, the Brother-
hood, deacons and pastor, hereby express to Miss Lyda Pos-
ton, the Author, our deep appreciation for her untiring ef-
forts in searching out and compiling the information contain-
ed in this history of our church.
/
,, >j \n «jrd9iuuia.
— ~—
■ ■■; .-.
aims Family
Reunion Planned
Seventh annual reunion of t h
Cabamss family will be held
Zion Baptist Church on Sunday*?
Picnic dinner will be spread c
tables on the church grounds I
12:30 p m. The group will assen
ble in the church for a prograr
and business session at 2 o'clock
After devotionals, reports a n i
election of officers, thqj;.e-"will h
a brief talk on the family histor
by the Rev. W. P. Biggerstaff. *
Copies of the family history w4i
be available for purchase. \
ZION CHURCH
Location and Early History
Zion Church, now worshiping in the fifth church house,
and the oldest Church in the Kings Mountain Baptist Asso-
ciation, is located on the Zion Church Road, six miles North
of Shelby, about half a mile east of Highway 26. It is across
a small stream to the West of the old Dave Evens homestead
which served as the first court house of Cleveland County.
Located nearby was the old Weathers Mill, known later as
the old Lutz Mill. These grounds have been a place of public
gatherings two hundred years or more. The first plot of
land, three acres, was purchased for the Anabaptist Church
or Society at Zion, (The term by which they were known
then,) from Willis Weathers April 5th, 1814, by Samuel
Bailey, William Covington and Mark Dedmon, commission-
ers of the Zion Society.
Spiritual services were held on these grounds a number
of years before the church house was constituted. (Some of
the early records were destroyed by a fire in the church
clerk's home but the purchase of the first plot of land, it's
date, and cost was learned from the first land deed which
Zion now owns. It is framed and hangs in the office of the
church.) The older people often spoke of the stand or brush
arbor where they met to hear the scriptures expounded by
the Rev. Drewery Dobbins and other ministers of that per-
iod.
On Friday (Aug. 31) before the first Sunday in Septem-
ber 1816, previous arrangements having been made, a pres-
bytery was formed by Rev. Drewery Dobbins, and Rev. Ber-
jwlAJuoJ,^ i i J J / J
riman Hicks with deacons from Sandy Run Baptist Church,
the only church prior to Zion in this section of the country,
and other more distance churches, organized Zion Church
with what is thought to be these Charter Members:
MALE Female
Samuel Bailey Peggy Bailey
William Covington Cory Weathers
Henry Bailey Carrie Martin
Bolin Connor Nancy Putnam
William Connor Sarah Plummer
James Nolon Susanna Putnam
Elias Putnam Annah Pool
Griggs Putnam Dicy Martin
David Warlick Polley Bailey
William Wellmon Martha Childers John White
John White Sally Clark
Tcrremiah White Polly London
West Yarborough Elenor Connor
Polly Rodgers
Sarah Stovall
Sarah Vaughn
Polly Yarborough
The Rev. Drewery Dobbins was elected the first pastor.
Samuel Bailey, William Covington, and David Warlick were
the first deacons. Samuel Bailey also served as the first clerk.
Services were held on the first Sabbath of each month
and on Saturday before. The business of the church was
transacted on Saturday. One would think the church would
have been without members the way they were excluded and
discharged though the membership steadily increased. It
was encouraging however, to dismiss a group of members to
establish a new church and often that was the cause. In
these early days, members were often added by letter and
by experience all during the year. Baptisms (in the nearby
streams) were mentioned in October, November, and March
in addition to the summer months.
The early pastors supported themselves and their fam-
ilies from their farms, because their salaries were too me-
ager. Many times a little fodder (bundles of corn blades)
was all that they received. Bibles were studied for sermon
preparation when they stopped the plow in the field to rest.
Horse back was the mode of travel for most pastors and
many others, until after the Civil War. However, large fam-
ilies did travel in wagons. An upping block was a necessity
and there were plenty of trees to hitch the horses. Many peo-
ple gave little thought to walking several miles to church.
They wore their "every day" shoes until they were ready to
round the last curve to the church. There they stopped to
change to their "Sunday Shoes".
The church houses were like the homes, built near a
spring to provide water. Always there were services the
first Sunday and Saturday before in each month except in
the most severe winter weather.
When the pastor lived some distance away from his
church he spent the week-end among his members. Who
knows, many sermons were completed on the way to the
church. The way was long and travel slow. Then too, when
the horse had made the trip a few times, he could guide the
traveler on his way without much aid.
Zion was established 1816, before Rutherford County
was divided, 1842. In the beginning, Zion held member-
ship in the Broad River Association and entertained that as-
sociation two times before the Kings Mountain Baptist As-
sociation was organized in 1850. Zion first entertained the
last named association in 1855. That was a hundred years
ago.
The church rules were strict in those days. All male
members were required to attend the Saturday Conferences.
If they failed to do so and did not give a satisfactory reason
for their absences, they were excluded from the church.
Exclusions were a common practice. If one joined a church
of another faith, left his wife, was hea'fd cursing, got drunk
or broke any legal laws, he was excluded from the church.
Mr. J. M. Wilson spoke of Zion as a "mother church",
and truly she must have been, since delegations were sent to
help form new churches and often members withdrew from
Zion to become Charter Members of these churches. They
are as follows: Zoar, Shelby First, Double Springs, New-
Prospect, New Bethel, Pleasant Grove, Shady Grove, Ross
Grove, Union, and Double Shoals.
The church doors were kept open during and after the
Civil War. No doubt physical progress was slowed down to
its lowest ebb in this period. Faith and spiritual progress
may have soared. The Christianization of the negro slaves
was not neglected. They were given a certain corner or sec-
tion in the church in which to worship and hear the preach-
ing. They were permitted to join the church. Their names
were recorded as colored members and there were sixty or
more of them. They were admitted in the church about 1850.
When the war closed and the slaves were liberated, all had
not withdrawn their membership from Zion until 1875 or
possibly later.
LAND DEEDS
On April 4th, 1814, three acres of land were bought at
the price of $20.00 from Mr. Billy Weathers by the Ana-
baptists Church or Society at Zion. Samuel Bailey, William
Covington and Mark Deadmon were commissioned by the
Society of Zion to transact the business.
In March 1880 a little more than two acres of land were
bought from Mr. W. R. Wellmon at $15.00 per acre.
One eighth of an acre to square the lot for the new
church, which was in progress, was purchased from Mr.
L. J. Wiggins in Nov. 1927. The total cost amounted to
$28.94.
One and one-half acres of land were bought for the
parsonage from Mr. G. L. Cornwell in 1945 for $150.00.
In 1950 land was bought from Mr. Lee Cornwell and Mr.
Vick Wellmon to bring the Zion property up to the two roads
which had been changed for the fifth church house at a cost
of $200.00.
In 1953, one-eighth of an acre was purchased from Mr.
Vick Wellmon for $100.00 to provide a space for a road and
parking at the rear of the church.
Church Houses
The first house, we are told, was built of logs from the
forest pines. We have no record of its construction. Though
10
1 1
we know that it was built in 1816 and Rev. Drewery Dob-
bins was the pastor.
The second house was a framed unceiled building. The
committee for its construction in 1858 was: Robert Poston,
A. J. Irvin, C. S. Wilson, John Poston, Sr., and S. S. Sim-
mons. Banister Willis was the contractor and Rev. Robert
Poston "was the Pastor. There were 134 members at that
time. The cost of the church is unknown. The church voted
to have it ceiled in 1875.
The third was a framed ceiled house, well lighted and
ventilated. The date for its erection is 1883. Rev. A. C. Irvin
was the pastor; the contractor was William Alexandra, the
building committee was composed of A. Blanton, J. D. Wea-
thers, A. J. Irvin, Samuel Poston, Daniel Poston, A. G.
Weathers, and A. M. Cabaniss. The cost of this house was
$750.00, furnishings $188.66. Total cost $930.66. This house
was painted inside and out and had green blinds at the
windows. In 1913 a vestibule was added.
The fourth house was a brick structure built in 1927-
1928. The first service was held in February 1928 with the
building completely paid for. The committee for this struc-
ture was: Laurel Hoyle, Chairman, G. L. Cornwell, Treasurer,
J. W. Irvin, J. S. Blanton and Frank Cornwell. Rev. D. G.
Washburn was pastor and J. H. Bracket was contractor. The
cost was about $20,000.00. This building had obscure win-
dows, and elevated floor in the sanctuary, with folding doors
to open to the Sunday School rooms. There was a basement
with more Sunday School rooms and a heating plant. It was
dedicated in May 1928. In October 1941 it was voted to build
an annex at the rear of the church and to install water and
a baptistry. The baptistry painting was done by Lyda Poston.
The last funeral held in it was for Mrs. Vic, Wellmon.
The fifth church house is a brick structure. The building
committee for which, was: Walter Davis, Chairman, Lee
Cornwell, Treasurer, Frank Cornwell, Bob Cabaniss, Laurel
Hoyle, Miss Ruby Irvin and Mrs. Ann Barron. The contrac-
tor was Mr. Grady Brooks with the Rev. W. V. Tarltcn as
pastor. The total cost thus far, of the building and furnish-
ings is approximately $116,000.00. It was completed and the
first church service held on April 5, 1953. However, two fun-
12
{x&s&g&i&f$$$&
eral services were held a few days before. They were for
Mrs. C. W. Lanier and Mrs. C. G. Poston.
This fifth house is a beautiful modern brick structure
with art glass windows and a spire which towers 85 feet
into the air inviting the people from miles around to come to
Zion for prayer and worship services. This building is most
adequate. It has a large sanctuary with gallery and choir
loft. The lighting system is modern and arranged for both
direct and indirect lighting. The furnishings and woodwork
are of oak finish. The rose colored wool carpet covers the
entire floor of the sanctuary. The baptistry is elevated for
the best vision to the congregation. The mural painting at
the back was done by Lyda Poston. The electric organ and
pulpit furniture complete the dignity of the sanctuary. The
basement provides space for the heating plant, well equip-
ped kitchen, large assembly room, storage and Sunday
School rooms. There are three stories, at the rear of the
building, which supply ample assembly rooms, class rooms,
office, pastor's study and rest rooms.
M
Reverend Drury Dobbins
April 7, 1776 - May 19, 1847
Reverend Dobbins became a minister at the age of twen-
ty years. Because of his early ministry in a Christian home,
he was probably reared on a farm. In addition to this he was
a farmer and shoe-maker. He was married to Mrs. Hanna
Sams Nee Callahan. Nothing is known of his education, but
he was one of the presbytery who organized Zion Church,
the oldest church in the Kings Mountain Baptist Associa-
tion. He also helped in the organization of many other
churches in this area.
He served as minister of c h u r c h e s for fifty years.
Thirty-one of which he rendered service at Zion. No other
Pastor has served that many years. Rev. A. C. Irvin came
next with twenty-five. It is said his favorite sermon was
"Walk about Zion" taken from Psalms 48:12-13 and that he
seldom preached more than an hour at a time.
Rev. Dobbins was a pioneer for the Kings Mountain
Baptist Association. However, his death came four years
before it was organized. His body was interred on his farm
which was located one mile West of Dobbins Church.
Reverend Tom Dixon
Dec. 24, 1820 - May 1, 1909
Reverend Tom Dixon is the son of David Dixon and
Suzannah Hambright Dixon. He was ordained in 1844. He
is known to be one of the great preachers of his time and
served many churches in Cleveland and surrounding coun-
ties. He became the first moderator of the Kings Mountain
Baptist Association in 1851. In all, he served as moderator
ten years, though they were not successive years.
Rev. Dobbins, was succeeded by Rev. Dixon, Zion's sec-
ond pastor in 1847. He was an evangelistic preacher. Hold-
ing a revival the first year at Zion in which the increase was
seventy-five. The greatest number to be received for baptism
during a revival in all the history of the church. He gave
the credit to the good foundation laid by Rev. Dobbins.
Miss Amanda E. McAfee became his bride and their
famous family is as follows: Mrs. Addie M. Thacker, who
taught in Oxford College, Dr. Delia Dixon Carrol, a noted
physician, Dr. Clarence Dixon who preached in both England
and America, and Tom Dixon famous author and playwright.
f
Rev. Dixon was active in his services to the Lord for
more than sixty years. He was interred at New Prospect
Church.
15
16
Rev. Robert Poston
Feb. 4, 1825 - May 20, 1901
Rev. R. Poston, a native of Cleveland County, was the
son of John and Mable Patterson Poston. He was married to
Miss Julia London Aug. 17, 1854. To this union were born
nine children, five girls and four boys. Furman, the oldest
son, became a Baptist minister.
When Rev. Poston was nineteen years of age he accept-
ed Christ and was about to join the Methodist Church (his
mother being of that faith). However, he waited a year dur-
ing which time he read and studied the Bible. Then he joined
Zion Baptist Church and was baptized by Rev. Dobbins.
After attending the Academy for sometime he taught
several years in the common schools. He was ordained to
the ministry in 1852 from the Double Springs Baptist Church.
He had been licensed to preach at Zion in 1849. The Kings
Mountain Baptist Association elected him moderator for the
year 1866.
Rev. Poston was pastor at Zion and Sandy Plains when
their second church houses were erected.
Quoting from a memorium published after his death:
"Brother Poston administered to the saints, and spent
months during the summer, holding protracted meetings.
Preaching twice a day, on some occasions for as many as
ninety days. ■ During the years of the Civil War,
quite a number of widows and others in needy circum-
stances were supplied with food from his garden and pantry.
He was a good nurse, and would sit night after night with
the sick. They never called upon him in vain. It was a source
of great pleasure to be of service to them."
Near the end he said, "I have been here long enough!
My trust is in the Lord Jesus Christ." He was laid to rest at
Zion.
•
'■
Reverend A. J. Oancellor
May 26, 1825 - Feb. 24, 1872
Reverend A. J. Cancellor, a graduate of the University
of North Carolina 1847, was the son of Sheriff Henry Can-
cellor of Lincoln County. He was married the same year of
his graduation to Miss Mary Ann Martin of Wilkes County.
Reverend Hill was his pastor at Salem Baptist Church at
the time of his conversion and baptism. He recognized Rev-
erend Hill as his father in the gospel. In 1851 he was licensed
to preach, and he became a member of the Kings Mountain
Baptist Association in 1856. For a number of years, he pub-
lished a paper in Shelby. His diary shows that he baptized
3,000 during his ministry. He was elected clerk of the Broad
River Baptist Association in 1853. However, he moved away
to Arkansas in 1872, and his final resting place is not known.
Rev. James II. Yarborough
Oct, 23, 1831
Reverend Yarborough was married to Miss Lenora
Stroud. He was ordained to the ministry in 1863 at Beaver-
dam and served as moderator of Kings Mountain Baptist As-
sociation in 1867-68. While the Association was in session
at Double Springs in 1869 he was elected as a delegate to
the State Convention. He was one of the first college trained
pastors in this area and promoted schools in this territory.
He acted as Peacemaker when the association was devided
over the temperance question.
IS
Reverend Lamlrum Cicero Ezell
May 16, 1843 - March 11, 1928
Rev. Ezell, eldest son of John S. and Margaret Tomas
Ezell, was a good English scholar and teacher. He showed
much interest in the education of the young people. In 1867
he was ordained to the ministry at the Kings Mountain As-
sociation by the request of the Shelby Church of which he
was a member. This was an unusual procedure both then
and now to ordain a candidate at the associational meeting.
While the association was in session at Double Springs in
1869, he was elected delegate to the State Convention. He
served as clerk of the Spartanburg Association in 1871 and
was their moderator in 1873.
Miss Martha Barnett became his bride in 1866. He was
interred at Bethany Baptist Church near Woodruff, South
Carolina.
19
20
6u
Rev. Abram C. Irvin
Feb. 4, 1843 - Jan. 8, 1926
Rev. A. C. Irvin was born and reared in the Zion Com-
munity. In fact, he spent all of his life there except, after
his- -retirement, he lived with his daughter, Mrs. Chevious
Washburn of Shelby, a few years before his passing. He is
the son of Mr. Ancel J. and Mrs. Elizabeth Beam Irvin. He
was first married to Miss Harriet A. Weathers. Mrs. Ollie
Irvin Wood and Mrs. Hessie Irvin Washburn were their chil-
dren. His second marriage was to Miss Mariah Jane Corn-
well. Their children were three sons: Jirn W., John Y., and
G. Pink and a daughter, May. The three sons are living now
and have been active in their church holding positions such
as deacon, S. S. teacher, S. S. Supt. and Church Treasurer.
Rev. Irvin served in the Civil War before he became a
preacher. He was captured by the Yanks and imprisoned in
Richmond, Virginia where he nursed his fellow prisoners
who were sick and wounded.
A beautiful life was his in service to his God and man.
He was dearly beloved in his home community by both the
adults and the children. He was never too busy to have a
smile and a word of cheer to all who came in contact with
him.
At the age of fifteen, he joined the church and was bap-
tized by Rev. R. Poston. He was ordained to the ministry at
Zion in 1875 and accepted the call to preach there that same
year. He did not believe in preaching long at a place at a
given time, therefore he resigned to be called back again and
again. In all he was pastor at Zion, his home church, twenty
five years. The Kings Mountain Baptist Association elected
him moderator and kept him in that position for ten years.
He also preached the introductory sermon at the association
four years. One of his favorite passages of scripture was
taken from John fourteen.
After singing a portion of "My Latest Sun is Sinking
Fast" he slipped away to be with Jesus and was interred at
Zion.
Rev. J. P. Styres
1814 - 1893
Rev. J. P. Styres is a native of Roan County and lived
near Lexington in his early life. Miss Betsy Broadway was
his bride, and for a while they lived on Buffalo Creek (Beams
Mill), where he ran a cotton gin, corn mill and a store. He
21
was one of the presbytery who organized both Ross Grove
and Pleasant Grove Churches.
His children numbered ten, one of which lived in the
Zion community. She was Mrs. Mary Styres (Johnny) Wea-
thers.
Rev. Styres served for a while in the Confederate Army.
His body was interred at Jersey Baptist Church near Lex-
ington.
22
Rev. Tillman Jefferson Moss
March 4, 1852 - June 8, 1914
Rev. Moss was born and reared, and made his home in
the Forest City Area. He was first married to Miss Alice
Smith of Cowpens, S. C. to which union five girls and four
boys were born. Of this number only three survive. They
are: Charles, Spurgeon, and Macie (Mrs. Moss) Reinhardt
all of Forest City. He was later married to a Zion daughter,
Miss Addie Weathers, to them were born two daughters,
Alice and Thelma.
Rev. Moss was of medium build with dark hair and eyes.
He was said to be a marvelous man of prayer and a very
staunch Baptist. His power as an evangelist was keenly felt
in his home community as well as at other places. In Forest
City, he held what was perhaps the largest baptismal service
everiield at that church.
He was a farmer and worked in the fields until Friday
noon, reserving for study, the time until he hitched to his
buggy on Saturday morning to go to his church Conference.
He spent both Saturday and Sunday nights on the field and
drove home on Monday. Like the other ministers of his
time, he received very little financial support. However, he
was well repaid by the response of the people to his preach-
ing.
His body was interred at Forest Citv.
93
c/F ^~
24
Rev. R. L, Limrick
Jan. 1, 1852 - July 13, 1919
Rev. Limrick was a native of Virginia, who came into
this county for a while. He preached the introductory ser-
mon at Double Springs when the Kings Mountain Baptist
Association assembled there in 1900. He was a favorite among
the young people.
Zion sent a delegation to Double Springs, while Rev.
Limrick was our pastor, for the ordination of D. G. Wash-
burn.
He was interred at Bethel Baptist Church, Ellenboro.
•>n
W%m%8ms mm
_.;:.;
mswwm
26
Rev. Zachariah Dobbins Harrill
May 29, 1851 - March 4, 1935
Rev. Harrill was one of the best known and most useful
ministers in his day. He began preaching at the age of twen-
ty and preached until he was eighty-four. At the time of
his death, he was pastor of the Concord and Campfield
Memorial Churches which attest to his usefulness and pop-
ularity.
Rev. Harrill was moderator of the Sandy Run Associa-
tion for twenty-five years; and was one of its best and most
progressive. His pastorates look almost like a roll call of the
Kings Mountain and Sandy Run Associations. Just look at
this list: Double Shoals, Zion, Zoar, Alexander, Bethel, Camps
Creek, Cane Creek, Campfield, Memorial, Caroleen, Bethany,
Floyds Creek, Mountain View, Lavonia, Shiloah, Mt. Vernon,
Mt. Pleasant, Fairview, Head of the River, Mt. Olivet, High
Shoals, Race Path, Pine Knob, Forest City, Florence, Sandy
Plains, Sandy Run, Trinity and Walls. He also served as pas-
tor of some churches in Burke County.
It is said that he never missed an appointment because
of sickness until two weeks before he died.
'.'7
$$& '
28
Reverend Dennis Gordon Washburn
April 16, 1874 - June 4, 1944
Rev. D. G. Washburn, a native of Cleveland County,
resided in the Double Springs Church community, through-
out his life. His formal education was at Shelby High
School and Wake Forest College. When he was nineteen
years of age he became a member of the church and was bap-
tized by Rev. A. C Irvin. He was licensed to preach in 1895.
In the year 1900, Rev. Washburn was graduated from
College, taught school at Double Springs, was ordained to
preach, and married Miss Ella Victoria Hamrick. To this
union were born one daughter, Sara Louise (Mrs. Lowell)
McSwain and four sons: Herman, Raymond, Wayland, and
Eulan.
No pastor ever worked more faithfully for the promo-
tion of "God's Will in his churches. He only served twelve
churches in all the thirty nine years of his active life, which
testifies to his ability to remain many years at a given
church. He was a great believer in prayer and was often
called to the bedside of the sick to pray, especially when the
doctors had gone their limit. He was always a welcome vis-
itor in the homes of his congregation. "On Jordon's Stormy
Banks I Stand" was certainly one of his favorite hymns. He
suffered a stroke Oct. 29, 1939. He was interred at Double
Springs Baptist Church Cemetery.
29
X^i^-<?
Reverend James Lineberry Jenkins
July 16, 1883—
Rev. J. L. Jenkins, a man of dignity and serenity, is the
son of L. L. Jenkins and Elizabeth Littleton Jenkins of Al-
bemarle, N. C. He is the grandson of Rev. J. W. Jenkins,
famous pioneer Baptist preacher of Stanley and Montgomery
Counties.
On January 2, 1918, he was married to Miss Kate McArn
Watson, of Riverton, Scotland County. Their four children
are as follows: J. L. Jr. a special writer for the "News and
Observer", Raleigh, N. C, Cathern Watson, Mrs. Eugene
Vosecky, Boiling Springs, N. C, Ella McNeil, Mrs. R. G.
Burrus, wife of Dr. R. G. Burrus of Morganton, N. C, Betty
Lou, Mrs. Eugene Washburn of Boiling Springs.
Rev. Jenkins was converted at the age of seventeen and
received his education at Wake Forest College and the Sem-
inary at Louisville. He has held the pastorate of churches in
faithful service for forty one years. Meanwhile, he has been
president of Gardner-Webb College three years and filled
out the presidency for two other presidents. He taught Bible
and sermon building at Gardner-Webb for ten years. At
Fruitland, he taught sermon building and interpretation for
nine years. He has been president of the North Carolina
Pastor's Conference. He preached the Baptist State Conven-
tion Sermon in 1950.
Though he retired in 1952, he is still active in service for
the Lord. He teaches in Preacher's and deacon's schools,
works in stewardship revivals and evangelistic campaigns.
At present, he is at home with his daughter, Mrs. Eugene
Washburn and Mr. Washburn, in Boiling Springs, N. C.
31
.",'>
Dr. W. A. Ayers
Feb. 5, 1874 - Apr. 20, 1949
Dr. William A. Ayers supplied at Zion for a year, al-
though he had retired from active work when he completed
twenty years of service at the Forest City First Church.
Miss Elizabeth Salisbury of Hamilton, N. C. became his
bride Jan. 24, 1900. To this union were born one girl and
four boys. Mary, the daughter, was called away when quite
a young lady. The sons: James, a physician, Robert, a min-
ister, who is now teaching Bible at the University in Athens,
Georgia, William and William Gary are business men.
Dr. Ayers was moderator of the Sandy Run Baptist As-
sociation for several years. For a number of years he had
been a trustee of each of the following: Meredith College,
Gardner- Webb Junior College, The Baptist Bible Institute,
New Orleans, and The Union Mills School for Orphan chil-
dren. He was also a member of the General Board which
met once a year in Raleigh.
Dr. and Mrs. Ayers made their home in Shelby when
Dr. Ayers passed away. He was interred at Forest City.
Reverend W. Palmer Biggerstaff
March 5, 1902—
Reverend Biggerstaff, is the sen of the late E. H. Big-
gerstaff and Georgena Goldsworthy Biggerstaff. He was
converted in 1914, called to preach in 1918 and was ordained
at Mt. Beulah Church, Gaston County, July 28, 1922. Miss
Minnie Elam became his bride August 7, 1925. To this union
were born two children. They are: William W. who lives in
Shelby, and Martha Frances, now Mrs. John N. Norton of
Apex, North Carolina.
Reverend Biggerstaff attended High School at Gardner-
Webb. Then he went to Mars Hill and to Furman University
and was graduated from the latter in 1922. He has served
churches in Greenville and Inman, S. C, Lincoln, Cleveland,
and Rutherford Counties, and High Point, N. C. He preached
the introductory sermon at the Kings Mountain Association
in 1942.
During his ministry at Zion, much interest was shown
in the young people, encouraging Camp attendance as well
as activities at home. Scout troups were organized and spon-
sored for both boys and girls and also a ball team for the
boys.
At present, Reverend Biggerstaff is located at 119 Hills-
boro Street in Raleigh, N. C, and is holding the position of
associate director of the Allied Church League. He came to
Zion in 1947 when the parsonage was new; therefore his fam-
ily was the first to have lived in it. He has many friends in
the Zion community and is always a welcome visitor in this
area.
.••.5
:\(\
Reverend William V. Tarlton
Feb. 3, 1899—
Reverend W. V. Tarlton, our present pastor, the fourth
son in a family of eight, born to Mr. James M. Tarlton and
Mrs. Rosetta Smith Tarlton of Union County. He grew up
with a strong physique from the outdoor life on his father's
farm. Then too, he is endued with a personality sufficient
to mix well with all the members of his congregation. He al-
so has a bit of humor which he introduces at the exact mo-
ment.
Training for his ministerial career is as follows: Union
County High School, Wingate Junior and Wake Forest Col-
leges, graduating in 1925. Four years of teaching followed,
with one year at Bunn High School, Franklin County, and
three years as principal of Harris High Schocl in Rutherford
County. Meanwhile he was married to Miss Letha Carter of
Murfreesboro, N. C, who also taught with him. Ordination
came in 1929, and entrance to the Seminary at Louisville,
Ky. The years of depression did not interfere, since reim-
bursements were supplied by a janitor's job. Graduation
came in 1931.
Prior to his work at Zion, Rev. Tarlton served Rich
Square and Mount Tabor Churches in the West Chowan As-
sociation for six years. While there he was Associational
Sunday School Superintendent. Six years of service were
given to each of the following churches: Cliff side and McGill
Street Baptist Churches with elections of moderator to each
of the associations there-in. Much progress was noted in
these churches as to building, decorating, and missions, both
home and foreign, while he was serving them.
Since coming to Zion the latter part of 1950, he has
served both Zion and Polkville churches. He will serve Zion
only, full time pastorate, after Jan. 1, 1956. He and Mrs.
Tarlton reside in the church parsonage with their family of
three: Ruth Janet, Edwin Carroll, and Mary Elizabeth.
A new church has been erected at Zion since Rev. Tarl-
ton came into our midst. It was completed in the spring of
1953, and all indebtedness cleared in the fall of 1955. The
Kings Mountain Baptist Association was entertained the
sixth time in the fall of 1955, which was a hundred years
since it first met there.
We the members of Zion, hope to keep Rev. Tarlton
many more years as much progress is evident.
.".7
39
Pastors and a Missionary
> Have Gone Out From Zion
Rev. Joseph Suttle was ordained 1850, a pastor and
temperance leader. His ministry was very effective, but brief,
because of his early passing.
A. C. Irvin (whose life is written with the pastors of
Zion) was ordained in 1875.
D. F. Putnam, ordained in 1897, held pastorates in many
churches in Cleveland and the surrounding counties. He
served eleven years on the State Mission Board. He spent
his last years of service organizing and establishing new
churches. They are David, Polkville, Temple and Putnam
Memorial, all located in Cleveland County.
There are others, however, who have lived in the Zion
community for a while, at least, that have gone out as pas-
tors and into the mission field who were not ordained here.
They are Robert Poston (whose life is written with the pas-
tors of Zion). His son, F. H. Poston, whose work was largely
in Georgia though he was active for a short while in the
County. Albert Propst who was educated here in the states
spent last year in London for further training. Miss Laura
Cornwell, who has spent two years with the Baptists in
Hawaii, was at home on vacation this summer, showing pic-
tures and telling of her work. She has returned to Hawaii
for two or more years of service.
40
H
42
43
SUNDAY SCHOOL
The first recorded information pertaining to Sunday
School was in February 1865. The church voted to raise
mjoney to buy literature (Library as they called it) for a
Sabbath school from the Rev. G. M. Webb, serving as a Sab-
bath School Missionary at that time. The following is a por-
tion of the literature purchased and delivered in April 1865:
18 Child Question Books
24 Biblical Catechisms
14 Primmers
24 Catechisms for children
20 Little Peoples
Gospels and Bibles were included along with some other
books. The total cost of them being $34.74. On Sunday, April
1, 1865, the Sabbath SCIiOOL was organized with the fol-
lowing officers:
Rev. Robert Poston, (Pastor) Superintendent
Bro. Milton Gold, Assistant Superintendent
Bro. A. J. Irvin Assistant Superintendent
Mrs. Elizabeth Suttle, Miss Mercy Gorden, and Miss
Rachel Poston, as teachers.
Each of the three Superintendents held classes. Judging from
the literature, it is thought that classes of all ages were
taught.
There is no further mention in the records of a Sunday
School until 1882, when Rev. A. C. Irvin was pastor. The
literature and officers were not mentioned. Mrs. C. G. Poston
(1861-1953) has often spoken of the Sabbath School at Zion
(when she was a child) as having studied that well known
"Blue Back Speller". She was too young to have attended the
one mentioned in 1865.
Among the pictures and Keepsakes of Mrs. Rachel (Mon-
roe) Weathers was found a Sunday School Card, the ques-
tion and answer type, dated Jure 26, 1881, A missionary
lesson based on Luke 24:44-53. It is thought that Sunday
School has been held each summer at Zion since 1882. No
school was carried on in the winter months because of wea-
ther, roads and heating facilities. Often in later years Sun-
day School was discontinued a month or more in severe
weather. As late as Dec. 1919, the flu epidemic caused the
church doors of many churches in the county to close. Zion
remained closed until March 1920.
The older present members of Zion have said that Mr.
J. M. Wilson and Mr. F. P. Gold were Sunday School Super-
44
intendents a good while before 1897.
The Sunday School kept improving from time to time.
Class rooms were curtained off in the third church house
and used a number of years. About that time G. T. Cabaniss
became Superintendent. The church adopted the Standard
of Excellence. Then, too, the fourth church house was built
and there was rapid progress, as usual, following a building
program. The Sunday School was departmentalized and the
Standard of Excellence was reached a number of years.
Weekly teacher's meetings have been held over a long period.
J. W. Irvin supervised these meetings and often taught the
lsson. In more recent years the pastor has conducted the
teacher's meetings and taught the lesson.
In our fifth church house, there are assembly rooms and
plenty of class rooms for each department. In fact, the Sun-
day School is graded and no department is being neglected
under the able supervision of Walter Davis, as Superintend-
ent. Our enrollment is 308 and our average attendance is
187. The above does not include the Cradle Roll, 20 and the
Home Extension Department 27.
The aim in our present Sunday School is to enroll each
person of the Baptist preference in our church community
and to get them to attend regularly. Mrs. W. V. Tarlton has
charge of the Cradle Roll and all of the babies are enrolled,
but the other departments have not reached their goal, prob-
ably never will, but in the name of the Lord we are ever
striving onward.
MISSIONS
Zion began to be mission minded, according to the rec-
ords, as early as 1880, when contributions were made for
that cause. A little later contributions went steady to both
state and foreign missions and by 1925 the church voted to
pay monthly to missions.
W. M. S.
Mrs. Tom Dixon talked missions to the Zion women and
a mission society was formed between 1892-1894. It was ac-
tive for a while. It is known that the society had $2.60 on
hand when it failed to function. That amount was given to
missions through the church.
In 1905 Mrs. Minnie Ramsour and Mrs. T. Folliett from
Lawndale came into the community to inform the women
about mission work. Aided by J. Y. Irvin and his mother,
Mrs. A. C. Irvin, a society was organized with Mrs. C. G.
Poston as president. The women lived too far apart to walk
45
and not many drove the horses, therefore, it did not exist
long.
Mrs. Ollie Irvin (J. VV.) Wood from Boiling Springs
made several attempts to organize a W.M.S. at Zion, but it
was not God's time for it. Finally, in 1928 Mrs. Pauline Al-
len (Monroe) Poston moved into the community. She suc-
ceeded in both organizing and establishing the W. M. S. She
made it go through her zeal and enthusiasm for the Lord.
When her old car failed to go, she walked and went to the
meetings, though she lived several miles away. Mrs. J. F.
Lutz, Mrs. Turner Cabaniss, and several others were present
for the first meeting which was held at Pauline's home. Mrs.
Emma Cline (W. H.) Hamrick was present to explain the
work of the auxiliaries.
A B.W.C. was added to the VV. M. S. in 1948. Each year
a new president was elected for it. They were: Mrs. Jack
Barron, Mrs. Harold Roberts, Mrs. James Wilson, Mrs. Hoyle
Cornwall, and Mrs. John Raynor. New members were enlist-
ed rapidly and the W.M.S. was divided into five circles in
1953.
The Auxiliaries
SUNBEAMS
Mrs. J. F. Lutz organized a Sunbeam Band soon after
the W. M. S. was organized and serve:! as their leader twen-
ty-years. Following her were: Miss Rachel Wellmon and
Mrs. Odis Royster.
R. A.
Mr. J. F. Lutz was the first leader of the R. A. Mrs. M.
G. Cabaniss, Mr. Clarence Dixon, and Mr. Frank Barbee
followed. It has been active most of the time since it was
organized and certainly so the last few years.
G. A.
Miss Josie Wilson became the first leader of the G. A.
and served ten or fifteen years. She was followed by Mrs.
Thurman Horn, Mrs. Bobby Rudasill, and Mrs. Walter Davis.
About five years ago the G. A. was divided into Junior and
Intermediate groups. Since then the leaders have been:
Mrs. Geo. Martin Jr. Leader
Mrs. Walter Davis Inter. Leader
Mrs. Bob Cabaniss Jr. Leader
Mrs. W. V. Tarlton Inter. Leader
Miss Thelma Spangler Jr. Leader
Miss Ruby Irvin Inter. Leader
Y. W. A.
Soon after the W. M. S. was organized Miss Lyda Pos-
ton had charge of the Y. W. A. several years. Following her
were Miss Janie Irvin, Mrs. Kent Harris, and Miss Ruby
Irvin. It was kept active for a number of years. Since then
there have not been enough girls in the home community to
justify an organization.
Administering Baptism
Since Baptists are strict about their baptizing, all mem-
bers have been immersed. Many were baptized in ponds, made
in near by creeks, or in the river which is not too far away.
Following the erection of the fourth house 1928, an out
door cement pool was constructed and used a number of
years. Joyce Williamson was the last one baptized in it. She
is a descendent of both William Covington and the Rev. Rob-
ert Poston.
The above forms of baptism were given for 125 years.
However, in 1941 the annex with a baptistry was added to
the fourth Church. Jane Cabaniss was the first one baptized
in it .She is a great grandchild of William Covington. Larry
Cornwell, son of Tom Cornwell a present deacon, was the
last one baptized in it. The oldest person to have been bap-
tized at Zion was a man eighty-one years of age.
When the fifth house was erected with its new baptistry,
Dell Wilson was the first one baptized. She is a descendant
of J. M, Wilson, a former deacon and prominent man in the
history of Zion Church. After the painting was done and the
baptistry really completed, Judy Wright was baptized first.
MUSIC
Music has played an important part in the worship
services and in the history of Zion. Seme of the early hymn
books had notes while others did not. Song masters under-
stood the C. M., L. M., 7S, 12 S and so on. These men of
Faith who loved the Lord led the singing with spirit and fer-
vor, and all who could sing, joined in the praise to God. The
greatest increase at any revival ever held at Zion 1847, was
inspired by the above type of music.
Song leaders were not named befoie 1852 when J. L.
Gardner was mentioned and in 1855 Samuel Wilson and N. C.
Lovelace. M. M. Wilson and Able Poston were elected in
1861. A tuning fork has been mentioned in connection with
the music but it is not known when it came into use. An-
other song leader was named, S. L. Gelespic. In 1875 the
47
following were elected: N. Cabaniss, J. P. W. Wilson, and
Israel Champion. Then again in 1884 John D. Escridge, E. Z.
Champion and F. P. Gold were elected.
In 1887, there was talk of buying an organ. Since Zion
was never quick to take to new things, a period of six years
intervened. An organ was purchased from S. L. Gillispie
at the price of .$84.60 in 1893. J. W. Irvin, D. F. Putnam,
Mamie Spangler, and Ollie Irvin raised the money by sub-
scription to pay for same.
Singing schools were held in the summer one or two
weeks in which a hired song master came into the commu-
nity and taught the rudiments of music and new songs. Some
adults attended these meetings, but they were held largely
to train the children and young people. The over-all purpose,
however, was to have better singing in the church. These
singings were enjoyed by all who attended and certainly so,
by the boys and girls who played tap and other yard games
at recess and the noon hour. Sometimes a concert was given
at the close of the singing. An event, which always drew a
crowd and much comment.
The second organ was bought in 1915 and a piano in
1927.
Ben Nolon and Roy Propst each served as song leaders
a few years and moved away. Then Lee Cornwell was elect-
ed. Later special leaders were hired at revival times. They
were: Leland Royster, Clyde Gardner, and Bill Bridges. After
a while choir directors were hired. They have been: Charles
Loveland, Bill Bridges, Allen Jolly, and Billy Cabaniss.
At present, the church has an electric organ and a piano
in the Sanctuary. There are six pianos in the Sunday School
Department. Miss Frances Cornwell directs the choirs, and
much interest is shown in the music. The present enrollment
of the choirs: Adult twenty-six, young people twenty-seven,
and Cherub twenty-five. The sweet tones of the chimes greet
the members as they arrive each Sabbath morning; and as
they file quietly into the church they can hear the still small
voice saying, "O come let us worship and bow down".
WEDDINGS
In the early days at Zion there were frequent inter-
marrying among the members. Then, it must be remembered,
the Zion Community covered a large territory, that is, be-
fore the nearby churches were organized. After fifty or
seventy-five years the larger portion of the members be-
came related, and marriages have been few among the mem-
48
bers ever since.
We are concerned first with the names of Zion daugh-
ters who married ministers, and then weddings within the
church.
Minister's Wives
Julia London Robert Poston 1854
Polly Weathers A. C. Irvin 1866
Mariah Jane Cornwell A. C. Irvin 1872
Eliza Spangler Frank Putnam 1896
Addie Weathers T. J. Moss
Pearl Cornwell Sylvester Elliott 1925
Ollie Mae Gold A. B. Wood 1924
Church Weddings held WITHIN THE CHURCH— In-
cidentally, none are known before the fourth church house.
They are as follows:
Madge Irvin Lowery Austell 1929
Inez Cornwell Ralph Royster 1937
Mary C. Cornwell Glenen Rogers 1939
Montrose Simmons Harold Roberts 1942
Agnes Gold Carl Overcash 1943
Martha Williamson .. Tom Summers 1946
Dorcus Cornwell Frank Barbee 1946
Jessie Putnam Frank Wall 1947
Dorothy Cabaniss .... Tommy Allen 1947
Joyce Williamson ._ Boyd Spangler 1952
Jane Cabaniss William B. Walters 1953
Doris Cabaniss Ralph Wright 1954
Mary Ann Metcalf Scott Hamrick 1954
Ann Rudasill Gene Blanton 1955
Joyce Williamson was married last in the fourth church
and Jane Cabaniss was married first in the new church. Al-
ready there has been four marriages in the new church.
Training Union
Training Union work began at Zion Church in July 1921,
when Mr. D. B. Simmons supervised the organizations and
became the first director. He served several years and moved
away.
Miss Ruby Irvin was elected the B. T. U. (B. Y. P. U. as
it was known then) director in 1928, and served until she
moved from the community to teach school.
Reorganization occurred in 1935 when Walter Davis
became the director. He served until 1942 when World War
49
2 gas shortage caused it to close.
Clarence Dixon was elected in January of 1948. He re-
signed and Miss Ruby Irvin was again elected the director
in September of the same year. She kept the office until 1954.
Then Mr. W. L. Simmons was elected. He has served ably
for a year. All of these leaders have served faithfully and
much good has been accomplished.
Vacation Bible School
During the summer of 1948, while Rev. W. P. Biggerstaff
was pastor, a Vacation Bible School was organized and held
for eight days. A Bible School has been held every summer
since then for, at least, a week. The object is to reach, teach
and train every child in the entire church community. Rev.
Biggerstaff served as principal the first two years. Mrs.
Montrose (Harold) Roberts also served two years. Rev. Tarl-
ton has been the Bible School principal since his coming to
Zion in the fall of 1950.
STRANGE HAPPENINGS
Rev. Joe Suttle (Grandfather of John W. Suttle) leader
of the temperance cause, had been invited to Zion to speak
on the subject of temperance. The date and hour had been
set. When Rev. Suttle arrived the church doors were locked.
Though there was a large crowd present, no one produced
the key. Neither was he allowed to speak on the grounds
outside. Mrs. Billy Wellmon, Sr. (Great grandmother of Gus
Wellmon, a present deacon), invited Rev. Suttle to her home
to speak in her grove. He accepted the invitation and a good
delegation went to hear him.
A grandson verifies the fact that Mrs. Daniel Stroup of
Cherryville walked to church at Zion. She left home on
Friday, spent the night with friends both going and coming,
attended the services on Saturday and Sunday, visited with
the members and returned to her home by Monday after-
noon.
Once when the memorial was held on the tenth of May,
two deacons happened to arrive early and found a stand set
up on the church grounds for the sale of lemonade. Needless
!o say the stand was soon dispersed and children looked on
wistfully as the lemonade trickled off through the leaves.
Someone has wondered if the Sunday School literature
bought in 1865, valued at $34.74 was ever really paid for (it
being at the close of the Civil War when the money was kill-
ed).
:
50
51
In all of Zion's hundred and thirty nine years of history
only one will has been left to the church. That one was made
by Mrs. Rachel (Monroe) Weathers in Nov. 1924.
One Sabbath morning, the boy dressed himself as usual
ready for church and was unnoticed. The mother and older
sister came out in their new dresses with bustles. All scur-
ried about to get into the wagon in order to reach church on
time. When the family was near the church door the father
noticed the boy's coat tail standing out and flapping strange-
ly. Upon investigation, the father yanked off the bustle and
threw it back across the church yard toward the wagon,
while the mother stood aghast and others chuckled.
In 1861, when temperance became a question in the
churches, J. M. Gardner's conduct was discussed in confer-
ence as to the distilling of spirits. Where upon he asked to
be allowed to "still the spirits" one more week and he would
quit forever. The church decided to bear with him.
A similarity akin to apostolic succession is as follows:
Rev. Drewery Dobbins ( served Zion 31 yrs.) baptized Rev.
Robert Poston (served 15 yrs.). Rev. Poston baptized Rev.
A. C. Irvin (served 25 yrs.). He in turn baptized Rev. D. G.
Washburn (served 19 yrs.). The four pastors held pastorates
at Zion jointly, but not successively, ninety of the first 120
years.
One preacher in the early days, was paid $12.00 for his
year's work preaching at Zion. He gave back $2.00, because
he thought it was too much pay.
Later History
of
ZION
Under this topic are to be given happenings of more re-
cent years that are of too much importance to be left out,
and have not been given elsewhere.
The first thought of church grounds was merely to have
a clearing around the church house and large enough at one
side for a cemetery. After a while these grounds were fenced
in to keep cattle and farm animals out. Later walkways and
drives were considered. Not until 1928 (when the fourth
church house was new) were the grounds landscaped, with
walks, drives, shrubbery, grass and trees. Since that time
much thought has been given to church ground beautifica-
tion. In this day the emphasis is on a large, well-kept, green
lawn.
Zion has sent contributions for the education of the
youth in our state many, many years. Wake Forest, Mere-
dith, and Gardner-Webb have received the most aid. Hew-
ever, other schools have been helped.
52
fgfgglif
per
yr.
per
yr.
per
yr.
per
yr.
per
month
per
month
The sick and aged have not been neglected either. Gifts
have gone to the Baptist Hospital at Winston-Salem and
homes for the aged.
Memorial Services were begun in the church in the year
1905. It was first voted to have it on the tenth of May. Two
years later, however, it was changed to the first Sunday in
May. Since that time Memorial Services have been held on
that date — flowers were placed on the graves and dinner
spread for the members and their friends.
The church, in 1910 elected a sexton. W. H. Wellmon,
at $12.00 per year. Before that time it was done free of
charge by deacons, laymen, or whoever happened to arrive
early. A list of all who have served is given elsewhere.
Through the years their salaries have steadily advanced.
They are as follows:
*1910 $ 12.00
1925 .... _. 40.00
1927 60.00
1929 100.00
1947 _... 33.00
1954 100.00
A full time janitor, Byers Wiggins, was elected in July,
1954, at $100.00 per month including lights, water and a
home in the old church building. L. G. Haynes, our janitor
for the coming year, is to receive $115.00 per month includ-
ing a home in the old church.
The year, 1936, the unified budget systems was voted
by the church. (Individuals had been collecting the pastors
salary by subscription). The cooperative program was adopt-
ed in February 1937 and the itimized budget system was put
into use in 1951.
In the early years no salary was mentioned in the rec-
ord for the pastor. In 1857 and again in 1875 money was to
he raised by subscription for the paster. The amount raised
was not given. Fodder was the pay one year. When Rev.
Chancellor received 300 bundles. The year 1891 the salary
was to be paid quarterly. The total for that year amounted
to $100.00.
1912 . .. $150.00 per yr. 1942 .. $ 720.00 per yr.
1918 . 225.00 per vr. 1946 1,000.00 per yr.
1921 . 400.00 per yr. 1948 .... 3,000.00 per y
1930 .. 550.00 per yr. 1955 .. 2,760.00 per yr.
Revival preachers who have come to Zion in recent
years have had a fair salary per week. Sometimes the money
had to be divided among preachers and music leaders. The
5 1
money raised for some has been from $200,00 to $446.00 a
number of times. In 1950 when the church was without a
pastor a few months, Rev. John W. Suttle came and preached
the revival week and was given $546.00. The greatest amount
ever given a revival helper.
Below is given the church membership at different in-
tervals through the years:
1816 ..... 30 members 1899 208 members
1847 134 members 1927 267 members
1852 153 members 1945 386 members
1883 177 members 1954 415 members
An itemized account of members in 1847 was given thus:
147 whites
16 colored
163 Total
27 dismissed to constitute a new church
136
2 died
134 Final Total
The first hundred years was celebrated September 1,
1916. A large crowd attended the centennial services, Rev.
D. F. Putnam preached the sermon. In 1919 a well was dug.
Before that time only the two springs served to supply the
water. Spring water was used a little more than one hundred
years.
Lamps were bought for the church to be used by the
B. Y. P. U. in 1921. Night services had not been held before
then except once or twice when lamps were borrowed. A
church library was begun that same year.
When services had been continued at Zion one hundred
and twenty-four years on the first Sunday and Saturday be-
fore, the Saturday service was dropped and a third Sunday
night service was added. By 1943 both Sunday services were
held on Sunday morning. However, in 1953 full-time services
came with preaching each Sunday morning, alternating the
10 and 11 o'clock hours with the Polkville church. Finally,
in 1955 the church voted to have full time services and not
share the pastor with another church. This became effective
on January 1, 1956.
Zion church members look back with reverence, and a
distinct pride upon the 139 years of history, the work done
by their ancestors and its physical out come. No one can
measure or estimate the spiritual value. We hope and pray
that the past, present and future labors of this church have
been and shall ever be pleasing to God and guided by the
55
Holy Spirit. May Praise to God and the salvation of lost
souls ever be Zion's Mission on this earth.
The Lord's Acre Plan was adopted in 1950, so was the
harvest sale. Both of these were used as a means to help
raise money for the new church. The last harvest sale for
that purpose was held October 8, 1955. The sale along with
contributions which flowed in before and just after, cleared
the church debt and left a surplus to be used on grounds
and other necessary improvements.
ZION CHUKCH PASTORS
1816
- 1955
Drewery Dobbins
1816-1847
Tom Dixon
1847-
1887-1890
Robert Poston
1854-1855
1857-1865
1867-1870
1875
A. J. Cancellor
1856
J. H. Yarborough
1866
1873-1874
L. C. Ezell
1871-1872
A. 0. Irvin
1876-1879
1882-1886
1895-1899
1906-1916
J. P. Styres
1880-1881
T. J. Moss
1891-1894
R. L. Limrick
1900-1901
Z. D. Harrill
1902-1905
D G. .Washburn
1917-1935
J. L. Jenkins
1936-1945
W. A. Avers
1946
W. P. Biggerstaff
1947-1950
W. V. Tarlton
1950-1955
ZION CHUKCH
DEACONS
1816-19i
55
Samuel Bailey
Daniel Poston
William Covington
M.
M.
Wilson
David Warlick
J.
D.
Weathers
Anderson Elam
Milton Gold
A. C. Irvin, Sr.
A.
C.
Irvin, Jr.
M. M. McEntire
A.
G.
Weathers
S. Wilson
W
. P.
Wilson
N. C. Lovelace
E.
W.
Whisonant
J. L. Ledford
William Alexandra
A. J. Irvin
Roy Propst
Chanel Hendrick
Lee Cornwell
56
Ed Wilson Dan Gold
Clarence Dixon Walter Davis
Clay Cabaniss G. L. Cornwell
J. M. Green Tom Cornwell
0. M. Weathers Gus Wellmon
W, F. Gold William Beaver
J. M. Wilson Lowell Yarboro
F. P. Gold Odis Royster
D. A. Blanton Jack Wilson
C. G. Poston Webb Riser
G. T. Cabaniss Wilbur Simmons
J. W. Irvin Bob Cabaniss
Grady Wilson Harold Roberts
Frank Cornwell Max Cornwell
G. P. Irvin S. S. Mauney
Mont Cabaniss Bill Horn
Joe Harris James Wilson
J. F. Lutz Joe Cabaniss
Laurel Hoyle A. V. Irvin
* Deacons admitted from other churches
SUNDAY SCHOOL SUPERINTENDENTS
(As recorded in the record)
T.
J. W. Irvin
1897-1900
1908-1917
1921-1922
1925-1926
J. M. Wilson
1900-1901
1917-1918
J. Y. Irvin
1901-1905
F. P. Gold
1905-1908
1918-1921
S. S. Mauney
1922-1925
G. T. Cabaniss
1927-1938
J. F. Lutz
1938-1944
Walter Davis
1944-
W. M. U. PRESIDENTS
Mrs. Pauline Allen (Monroe) Poston
1928-1930
Mrs. W. M. Martin
1930-1937
Mrs. J. F. Williamson
1938-1946
1954-1955
Mrs. Roy Propst
1947
Mrs. Pleas Cabaniss
1948
Mrs. M. G. Cabaniss
1949
Mrs. Walter Davis
1949-1952
Mrs. Robert Rudasill
1952
Mrs. Bill Horn
1953
TREASURERS
Lovelace
_.. 18
57
A. J. Irvin . -1870
Daniel Poston 1870-
J. D. Weathers -1884
C. M. Weathers 1884-1898
W. F. Gold 1898-1903
G. P. Irvin 1903-
( Omitted dates not in the record)
BROTHERHOOD PRESIDENTS
Tom Cornwell 1946-1949
Harold Roberts 1950-1951
Jim Wilson 1952
George Martin 1953
Clay Cabaniss 1954
Zion Church Clerks
1816 - 1955
Samuel Bailey 1816-1854
A. C. Irvin, Sr. 1855-1858
A. J. Irvin 1859-1895
F. P. Gold 1896-1925
G. T. Cabaniss 1926-
Organists and Pianists
1893 - 1955
Ollie Irvin Viola Nolan
Mary Spangler Mary C. Cornwell
Eliza Spangler Mrs. Melba Propst
Julie Gold Mrs. W. P. Biggerstaff
Laura Gold Mrs. Elaine Horn
Florence Wilson Mrs. Sarah Gold
Maggie Blanton Miss Frances Cornwell
Fray Cabaniss Mrs. Betty Wilson
Ollie Mae Gold
JANITORS
W. H. Wellmon 1910-1915
Grady Wilson 1916-1921
Clint Wellmon 1922
1944-1945
Joe Spangler 1923-1925
Jim Spangler 1926
J. M. Putnam 1927-1941
Maynard Wellmon .... 1942-1943
Albert Propst 1946
Everett Wellmon 1947-1951
Zio:i Women (Did the work to raise
money to buy a carpet for
the Sanctuary) 1952
Ed Wilson 1953
Byers Wiggins 1954
L. G. Haynes 1955
58
£
59
DATE DUE
i
i
i
DEMCO 38-297
^y
H90980920a
sauejqn Ai!SJ3A|un 3>lna